BB Viking - My Favorite Things

Hello friends!  I am so happy to be back guest designing today for My Favorite Things.

I'd like to share with you three cards that I made using the recently released BB Viking set from My Favorite Things.  I absolutely love this set!

For my first card, I made a 3D Box Card.  I love creating cards with dimension.  To some people, box cards may be somewhat intimidating but they're really not that hard and they're so much fun to make and also to give to your friends and loved ones.


When I think of Vikings, I think of the Viking Longships and I first pictured this burly guy sailing the seas.  I decided to create my box to resemble his ship.  I first created my base with a 12" x 12" piece of dark brown card stock, a paper trimmer and a scoring board.  I usually follow THIS easy 3D Box Card tutorial by Splitcoaststampers but I trim my final product down a little bit smaller.  The final dimensions of the box itself when folded flat are 5.5" x  5.5".  I usually hand deliver these cards but they can fold nicely and also be sent in the mail in a padded or larger-sized envelope.


For my panels, I layered MFT Natural Cardstock and MFT Kraft Cardstock which I stamped with the MFT BG Wood Plank Background Stamp in some dark brown ink.  I then created an ocean wave bottom panel to wrap perfectly around the base of the card and attached it with adhesive.  For the wave panel, I blended Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon and Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks onto Neenah Classic Crest 80lb Solar White Paper.  I then spritzed it with some water and die cut it with the MFT Die-namics Ocean Waves.  I also used these same colors to create the ink-blended sky in the background.    


For the sail, I cut a 2.5" square piece of MFT Smooth White Card Stock and drew in some lines using the MFT Stripes Stencil (which I believe may now be retired) but a ruler would also work.  I colored in some red stripes using my Copics (R08, R46, R59) and then used the MFT Die-namics Oval Shadows to trim off some of the edges to make it look like the sail was blowing in the wind.  For the top of the mast, I actually used the straight clothesline die from the LLD Bundle of Baby Clothes Die-namics.  I added two white flags using the flag dies from the MFT Die-namics Castle.  For my Viking, I stamped him onto white cardstock and colored him with Copics (all colors will be listed at the end of this post).  I then used the coordinating die set to cut him out and attached him to the inside of the box.  


My second card is also a card with a lot of dimension.  This time, I created a Shadow Box Card that fits perfectly into a 5x7" envelope when folded flat (measurements below).  I wanted my Viking to look like he was exploring the hills and mountains of Norway.  I first created a background sky with Tumbled Glass and Broken China Distress Inks.  I then added some mountains using the MFT Die-namics Snow Capped Mountains with MFT Cement Gray and Grout Gray card stock.  For the hills, I first blended smooth white cardstock with Twisted Citron, Mowed Lawn and Forest Moss Distress Inks.  I then die cut them using the MFT Die-namics Grassy Hills.  I added a castle from the Knight in Shining Armor Stamp Set and some pine trees from the BB Beast Friends Set.


Shadow Box Card Measurements:
  • Trim 2 pieces of card stock at 5" x 8 1/4"
  • Score these pieces on the long side at 1 1/4" & 7"
  • Cut an open window in one of the pieces (I used the MFT Die-namics A2 Rectangle Stax and added a frame from the Die-namics Single Stitch Line Rectangle Frames)
  • Adhere these two pieces together on one side where the side flaps will overlap (this will be the frame of your box)
  • For the inside strips, cut 3 pieces of card stock at 6 3/8" long at varying heights to add dimension (I used heights of 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2")
  • Score each piece at 3/8" & 6"
  • After you are done scoring, you can then die cut these pieces with whatever border dies (if any) that you want to use.   I used the MFT Die-namics Grassy Hills.


Lastly, for my final card, I created a fun little valentine's-themed card.  I made my card 5" squared and added some square layering panels using MFT Cement Gray and Smooth White Card Stock.  I also added a red & white striped pattered paper panel from the MFT Birthday Blowout Paper Pack.  I die cut a few fishtail banners using the MFT Die-namics Stitched Fishtail Flag STAX on MFT Wild Cherry Card Stock and some vellum.


In the center of my card, I added a stitched white heart using the MFT Die-namics Stitched Heart STAX.  I then placed my stamped, cut and colored Viking on top of the heart with some foam adhesive squares.  For my sentiment, I used the newly released From The Heart Stamp Set.  I heat embossed my sentiment onto black cardstock with Super Fine Detail White Embossing Powder and then used one of the dies from the MFT Die-namics Hearts In A Row-Vertical Set to cut it out.  Simple but fun!

Copic Colors Used:
  • Viking #1: Skin: E50, E51, E21, E11, Beard: E42, E08, E09, E18, Coat: E21, E23, E27, E29, Shirt: BG11, BG32, BG 49, Pants: N3, N5, N8, Boots: E81, E84, E87, Ax: C1, C3, C5, C7
  • Viking #2Skin: E50, E21, E13, Beard: E13, E39, E19, E49, Coat: E40, E41, E43, Shirt: G20, YG25, G17, G28, Pants: E23, E25, E29, Boots: N3, N5, N8, Ax: C0, C2, C5 
  • Viking #3Skin: E50, E21, E13, Beard: E50, E53, E55, E57, Coat: E13, E39, E19, E49, Shirt: R14, R46, R59, Pants: E40, E43, E44, Boots: E13, E39, E19, E49, Ax: C1, C3, C5 

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!  Have a wonderful day and have fun creating!  

Rachel









8 comments :

  1. Oh Rachel! Your Viking cards are amazing--especially the box card! All the little details make it a stunning project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Can you believe that I'm just now seeing all of your comments on my blog? Not sure why I never received any notifications on them. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you! Your work is always an inspiration to me! <3

      Delete
  2. Your projects are all amazing. The first one, the ship, got an immediate WOW from me and my son (he is not a stamper but appreciates art... Plus I just had to show somebody! Lol) Thanks for sharing your art Nd the Copic info, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adriana! Your sweet comments made me smile 😊💕

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness...what awesome cards you have made! I now follow your work so I can see each creation you make...I am off to make one of these shadow box cards. Thank-you for the directions. I have always tried to figure these out and now I have directions. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine! I’d love to see what you create! 💗

      Delete