Hog Heaven


Hello fellow paper crafters!  I'd like to share with you a Z-fold card that I created for the "My Favorite Things" 2016 Card Design Superstart Contest.  I have had this idea in my head for weeks now, but I wasn't quite sure how to execute it.  Honestly, it took some trial and error but I was pleased with the end result.  For those of you interested in creating a card like this, I will post some quick instructions and photos below.

I just love 3D cards!  To me, they seem to tell a story.  For this card, I used all products from "My Favorite Things".  They have a huge selection of super cute stamps and amazing dies!


After I created my card base (details below), I added some layered paneling in the background.  For the sky, I water colored with some white, yellow and pink inks. The pigs came from the BB Hog Heaven stamp set.  I stamped their images on white cardstock, colored with Copic Markers and then cut them out using their coordinating dies.  To go along with my sentiment, I decided to add angel wings on all of the pigs.  For this, I used the image of the pig who has the wings, and stamped it four times.  Twice facing the way the image is, and twice as a reverse image.  I then colored, fussy cut the wings and then added some Hero Arts Sparkle Embossing Powder to give them some iridescent shimmer. 


I then added some grass using the Grassy Fields Die-namics.  The beautiful stitched field of flowers were die-cut using last month's Sensational Stitched Flowers Card Kit.  I then attatched them along the two small fence sections in the center of the card that are able to collapse when folded.  I used the MFT Die-namics Spring Garden to create the potted flowers and bird house that are in front of the fence.  The fence itself was cut using MFT Woodgrain Fence Die-namics which is retired.  Also retired, I used the smallest cloud from the Jumbo Cloud Stax Die Set.  The stitched tree in the front came from the MFT Die-Namics Tree-mendous die set.  Lastly, I stamped the butterflies using the MFT BB Adorable Elephants stamp set.  I colored, fussy cut and then adhered them to the card with 3D foam squares.


Even though there are a lot of elements to this card, it can still fold easily and fit into an A2 sized envelope (see pic above).  I will most likely create my own A2 sized envelope with some added depth to protect my card when mailing just to be sure.



So, how to make a 3D Z-fold card?  I will try to (hopefully) quickly show you with some images below.  First, you need to cut a piece of standard carstock in half.  You should then have a piece that is 11" x 4.25" (the same size as when creating an A2 sized card)

You will then score that piece at 5.5" inches and 2.75" inches.  Once finished it should look something like this (below).


This is where it got a little bit tricky for me because I wanted to add the fence and not just a flat paper strip.  So, I cut two thin pieces of white cardstock that were the same length as my card.  The reason I made the pieces thin was that so you could see through the slats of the fence as it would look in real life.


I then scored them at the same lengths as my base, 5.5" and 2.75".  However, when attaching them, they are attached opposite of the folds of the card (see below) so that they "pop out" when opened.  It was to these long pieces that I added my straight fence segments.



I also added two small fence segments in the center of my card to which I adhered my stitched flowers.  The fold on these two segments looks like this (below).  This enables the fence to fold and open easily with the base of the card.



After that, the rest is easy!  You just need to add whatever die-cuts or embellishments you want to use and you will be left with a fun, 3D Z-fold card!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!  I love to hear from you!  Please feel free to leave me any comments or questions!

Rachel :0)

p.s.  Even though the deadline is tomorrow, if you can, check out the 2016 Card Design Superstar Contest by My Favorite Things!

2016 MFT Card Design Superstar Contest










5 comments :

  1. This is just so creative and adorable!!! That little pig is so cute and colored perfectly. Thanks for the tutorial on the Z card...I've never tried one, but after seeing yours, I want to give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie! You definitely should try it! They're a lot of fun 😊

      Delete
  2. Super cute! Saw your card at MFT and had to come check it out. Fabulous design! TFS Hugs, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments, Kristina! 😊😊

      Delete